Other Web Sites
The links on this web page are checked regularly, with the most recent added links at the top of each topic. However, it is beyond our control that occassionally a web server cannot be reached. Additional links can also be found on:
Arts, Crafts, Funnies
- Embroidermodder -- Embroidermodder is a free software tool that allows the user to add custom modifications to their embroidery designs.
- Diamond Willow Artisan Retreat -- They supply the meals, studio space (open 24 hours) and wonderfully comfortable accommodations surrounded by 11 acres of nature. Serenity, seclusion and solitude at Diamond Willow Artisan Retreat close to Turner Valley just South of Calgary, Alberta. Check out their schedule and enjoy a weekend.
- wimp.com -- Best videos from the Web. Suitable for all ages.
- Alley Cat Yarn, Beads and Clothing -- Lisa Hering in Sedona, Arizona, does it all. Check out her web site for rental property, photography, photographic art, Dancing Alpacas, her autobiography, beaded jewelry, clothing, knitted and croched tops, jackets, scarves, with matching outfits.
- Eva Rosenstand -- Eva Rosenstand/Clara Wæver is a Danish company where Jeannette gets many of her needlepoint works from. Not cheap, but excellent quality and always complete. Nordic Needle is the official Eva Rosenstand distributor for USA and Canada.
- Jacquie Lawson -- The classiest animated e-cards for every occasion.
- John Rausch -- The world of puzzles. Lots of those can be made from wood.
- Link4U -- Fun and entertaining greetings and webcards.
- Magic Eye Inc -- The world of Stereograms on the computer -- a must visit web site --.
- Neil Moffatt -- Neil Moffatt is a gentleman of many talents. I am fascinated by his 104 drawer cabinet. My wife now wants me to make something like that on top of her rolltop desk.
- Papier Mache -- Here you should find all you need to know about papier/paper mache.
- PCStitch -- Cross-stitch design software that allows you to create your own patterns. Create projects from scratch, or automatically convert photographs and other images.
- Puzzle Master Inc -- Hundreds and hundreds of puzzles and brain teasers. In addition they also carry chess, mechanical banks, puzzle books, magic trick books, boomerangs, etc.. Warning -- when you visit their web site you're bound to buy something.
- SICO -- Look at the world of colours and the Feng Shui Palette.
- Yarn Tree -- Literally hundreds of items for counted cross stitch, needlework, & stitchery.
- JonDonym Anonymity & IP Check -- It is surprising how much information is available to the outside world!
- CPUID & CPU-Z -- CPU-Z provides details about motherboard and CPU.
- TechPowerUp & GPU-Z -- Has lots of hardware reviews, but above all publishes a lightweight GPU-Z utility which shows all the details of your Graphics Cards and comparisons to other cards.
- Memory Express -- For all your PC hardware and custom building.
- Intel -- Laptop, notebook, desktop, server and embedded processor technology.
- NVIDIA -- For you graphics needs.
- Motherboards.org -- Latest news, reviews, guides and rankings for motherboards and PC hardware.
- Tom's Hardware -- Hardware news, tests and reviews.
Computer Software & Windows
- Classic Shell -- Highly customizable start menu with multiple styles and skins for Windows 7 through Windows 10.
- CCleaner -- Keep you PC in good shape. Safely check/delete not needed files from your system. Check and cleanup System registry. And much more.
- Ask Woody -- Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows and Office. He uses an MS DEFCON system; read it before applying any updates and/or patches to your system.
Consumer Issues, Online Shopping
- Product Reviews and Reports -- Summaries are based on information from several review sources. Handy link when you need to make a quick decision.
- Air Miles Canada -- Handy link when you are a collector.
- Amazon -- The biggest store for books, music and video.
- Better Business Bureau for USA and Canada -- It is good to start here when you need a trade.
- Chapters, Indigo, Coles, SmithBooks -- Canada's answer to Amazon.com.
- CMA Consumer Sense -- The "do not contact consumer service" of Canadian Marketing Association is very useful in getting yourself removed for 3 years from their member companies' mail, phone and fax lists.
- CNET Reviews -- Check this out before you buy, especially anything electronic, digital, computerized.
- Consumer Reports online -- US edition. Unfortunately you have to subscribe to get to the real useful information.
- Costco Online -- Costco Wholesale (food and non-food) is in more countries than you think.
- eHow.com -- Clear instructions on how to do just about everything. This web site is a must see!
- Epinions -- Before you buy anything... Get unbiased advice you can trust. Discover the right product for you. Find the best place to buy it.
- Equifax Canada or Equifax Credit Bureau, US -- Get your personal credit report, and check it once a year to protect yourself against identity theft. For an on-line report you pay, but it is free via regular mail.
- HowStuffWorks -- Learn how everything works.
- Canadian Credit Report -- Get your free credit report, and check it once a year to protect yourself against identity theft. For an on-line report you pay, but it is free via regular mail.
- TopTenReviews -- In-depth software product reviews and comparisons. Good starting point when you are looking for new software.
- TransUnion Canada or TransUnion, US -- Get your personal credit report, and check it once a year to protect yourself against identity theft. For an on-line report you pay, but it is free via regular mail.
- UFA -- United Farmers of Alberta stores you find throughout Alberta.
- Truth or Fiction -- True/false of what is being said, emailed, etc..
- Voodoo on the Bayou -- Read about Marie Laveau (1794-1881) the Voodoo Queen of New Orleans.
- Britannica -- My favourite encyclopedia.
- Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra -- We are proud of our very own CPO here in Calgary.
- CBC Radio - Vinyl Cafe -- I often listen to Stuart McLean's Vinyl Cafe when running errands on Saturday morning. Check out some of his stories under "Features".
- Fact Monster -- Online almanac, dictionary, encyclopedia and homework help.
- Jean Auel's Earth's Children -- Remember these books: the Clan of the Cave Bears, the Valley of Horses, the Mammoth Hunters, and the Plains of Passage? If not you better start reading. The long awaited 5th book, the Shelters of Stone, will be out on April 30th, 2002. The 6th and final book is also in preparation.
- Library of Congress -- Facts, figures and history. I use it to find special books.
- National Geographics -- My all time favourite.
- Snopes.com: Urban Legends reference Pages -- True/false legends on a wide variety of topics.
- Southern Stardust Big Band -- And who said that the Big Bands are dead? Another cultural must when you are in Calgary.
- Stage West Calgary -- Calgary's own dinner theatre with great buffets and great shows. Please note that Stage West enforces a semi-formal dress code.
- Toastmasters International -- Toastmasters is the best way to improve your communication skills. Lose your fears of public speaking and learn skills that will help you be more successful in whatever path you've chosen in life. Join a local club.
- Urban Legends and Folklores -- True/false and whatever else you are interested in.
- wikiHow -- A collaborative writing project to build the world's largest how-to manual.
- Wikipedia -- The Free Encyclopedia.
- wiseGEEK -- Clear Answers for Common Questions.
- World War II Codes and Ciphers -- Way down in there is a virtual Enigma that you can work with your mouse. If you don't know what the Enigma is then this site is most likely not for you, or is it?
- Yahoo! Babel Fish -- Text and Web Page Translation.
- Wie zoekt wie? -- A good contact point when you are looking for a lost Dutch or Belgium friend or relative who left for another country with address unknown.
- Stuff Dutch People Like -- A look at Dutch people through the eyes of an anglophone.
- Canada op zijn best -- Canada at its best, with links and informatie about Canada.
- Dutch Canadian Business Club -- Located in Calgary. Even if you don't want to become a member they have interesting links to other websites that are worth a look at.
- Dutch Canadian Centre (Edmonton) -- Counterpart of the Dutch Canadian Club in Calgary.
- Dutch Windmills from Zaanstreek -- If you like old Dutch windmills from the Zaanstreek then visit this web site!!!
- Foothills Speed Skating Marathon Association -- Keep an eye on this web site for the annual Sylvan Lake Ice Marathon in February. Sylvan Lake is close to Red Deer, Alberta, Canada.
- Holland Shop -- Online shopping for those great Dutch products. Aimed at the Canadian market.
- Holland Site -- HollandSite is de thuispagina voor Nederlanders in den Vreemde. Hier kunt u interessante links vinden naar het dagelijkse Hollandse leven. (HollandSite is the homepage for dutch people living overseas. It provides interesting links to the daily life in The Netherlands.)
- Holland Trade Shop -- Online shopping for those great Dutch products. Aimed at the USA market.
- Little Dutch Girl -- Online shopping for those great Dutch products in Old Town Spring, Texas.
- Moppen.net -- A Dutch site with good old fashioned Dutch/Belgium jokes.
- Publieke Omroep -- Stay in touch with the local Dutch radio, television and news.
- Radio Netherlands Wereldomroep -- Wereld-wide Dutch Radio (English page).
- Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) -- The site to visit when you are entitled to AOW or ANW payments from the Netherlands.
- Telefoongids -- For that important Dutch phone number or address.
- Good Calculators -- This website provides a variety of online calculators, such as financial and investments, mortgage and tax, salary and savings calculators. And that is not all.
- Exchange Rates -- Currencies and convertion calculator for exchange rates. Graph of last days values using data from the Federal Reserve Bank.
- X-Plane Flightsim Community -- You definitely should consider X-Plane 11 flight simular. It is currently (23-Mar-2017) in beta testing mode, but it looks extremely good and opens up a whole new world. X-Plane 10 is the current stable release, but you can have both for the price of one!!!
- FSFlyingSchool -- Fly like the PROs with FSX, FS2004 and X-Plane 10
- Flightsim.com -- The World's #1 Flightsim Site.
- Fly Away Simulation -- Provides Flight Simulation Portals to the next generation of flight simulation news and information sites.
Dutch Oliebollen at New Year's Eve.
- T & T Supermarket -- A true Asia supermarket.
- StillTasty -- How long will your favorite food or beverage stay safe and tasty? What's the best way to store it?
- Cooks.com -- A very complete recipe site, with unit and diet calculators, nutrition facts, and forums.
- Cook's Palate -- The Cook's Palate cookbook software is for those interested in organizing recipes and making cookbooks for home, school, fundraising, professional promotions and much more. I have tried it myself, and find that it provides all the basic functions and has a very nice presentation. Personally I still prefer Living Cookbook, but if you need something simple that is easy to learn then Cook's Palate might be your answer.
- Culinary Café -- Cooking for you. One of the better organized sites for looking up recipes. Has an excellent spice encyclopedia.
- Food Network's FoodTV.Com -- Gateway to Recipes, Entertaining, Chefs, Cooking, and Television.
- Living CookBook -- The best software for maintaining your own recipe database. Supports own recipes (with pictures), meal planner, nutritional analysis, grocery lists, inventory, publish cookbooks, import & export functions, and much more.
- McCormick -- Another nice site for recipes, spice encyclopedia, etc..
- Newlands Import Corporation -- Canadian Importers of Premium Rooibos Tea. Rooibos (red bush) Tea is grown in South Africa. The Premium (or 100%) Rooibos Tea is caffeine free and very high in anti-oxidants. Beside that, it just taste very good as well.
- Sudoku Essentials -- The best source for solving Sudokus.
- Lotto Lore -- Latest Canadian lottery results : 6/49, Super 7, Ontario 49, Lottario, Western 469, BC 49, plus more.
- Mah Jongg WorldWide Web Site -- If now I only could win a game or two.
- Rebel Decade -- Decade 3.0 is a very good chess program and it's free, while on Fridays you play against the real Rebel 10!!!
- Sudoku Online -- All you need to play Sudoku, from computer software to online help.
- Web Sudoku -- Billions of Free Sudoku Puzzles to Play Online, from easy to evil, traditional and many variations. Web Sudoku also supplies Sudoku puzzles for newspapers, magazines, Sudoku books and websites.
- World Bunco -- The World Bunco Association was chartered in 1996, and is dedicated to the organization, preservation, promotion and the expansion of Bunco group activity.
- Ancestral Quest -- A full-featured family tree records manager; a must have when you research you ancestors. It replaces the PAF5 program.
- Progeny Genealogy -- They have several good products to show your family tree in pretty format such as Charting Companion (the replacement of PAF Companion).
- FamilySearch Internet Genealogy Service -- By far the most famous one. When you have a chance visit their library in Salt Lake City (Utah).
- Genealogie Online -- (Dutch, but can be switched to English, German or French) Search in the many family trees published by others and/or publish your own family tree.
- WieWasWie.nl -- Excellent source for Dutch folks. Has civil registry (burgerlijke stand) records of the birth, marriage and death registries, some going back as far as 1788. This database is still a work in progress, but there is a lot already. So far only in Dutch. Recommend to register and take out the free subscription to get all the benefits of this website. (Before 1-Jan-2013 it used to be http://www.genlias.nl)
- Ancestry.com -- The most popular genealogy and family history site.
- Cyndi's List -- Cyndi's list of Genealogy site on the internet.
- GeneaKnowHow.net -- To support your genealogical research in the Netherlands and Belgium. This site is mainly in Dutch, but has a huge list of references to other web sites of which some are in other languages.
- GeneaNet -- Genealogical Database Network. The free world network of users who use the Internet to search for their ancestors.
- GenForum -- Looking for a forum (news group) on a certain surname? Look no further, you found it!!!
- RootsWeb -- The oldest and largest FREE genealogy site supported by Ancestry.com.
- Streekmuseum Oudheidkamer Reeuwijk -- Museum and history from the area around Reeuwijk, The Netherlands. They also have a genealogical ProGen database with over 100,000 names of some 400 families from that area. The web site is in Dutch.
Government, Province, City, Law
- Johannes Rietstap -- The man behind the Johan Baptiste Rietstap Armorial Général. It is free, in French and text only.
- Blazon Search -- Searchable Armories, especially the most famous for Europe the Johan Baptiste Rietstap Armorial Général. Only French text and no pictures, but the website points where you can find the pictures.
- WAZAMAR -- Elaborate Dutch web site which among others the more modern Coat of Arms.
- Coats of Arms, Coat of Arms, Family Crest -- The pictures that go very well with "Balzon Search".
- Baby Names Pedia - etymology of names -- Concise name meanings, origins, usage, and maps of variants for first names.
- Behind The Name -- The etymology and history of first names.
- Coat of Arms & Surname Histories by House Of Names -- Commercial site, but at least you can see if a Coat of Arms exist for your family.
- Heraldica -- New or seasoned, you will all find something useful on this web site!!!
- Heraldry on the Internet, Coats of Arms, Family Crests -- Excellent site to get started with your research.
- International Civic Arms -- Not useful for your personal coat of arms, but it is still worth a visit.
- Meaning of Names -- Browse through over 40,000 names, origins, and meanings from around the world.
- Think! Baby Names -- An online dictionary and reference guide on the origin and meaning of first names. Includes popular, unusual, and unique baby names from around the world.
- Medical Mart -- To supply every Canadian Health Care provider with high quality health care products and exceptional customer service.
- Drugs.com -- Drugs.com is the largest, most widely visited, independent medicine information website available on the Internet.
- Canadian MedicAlert Foundation -- Please support this foundation; it may safe a life someday, and it might be yours.
- Hardin MD -- Hardin Meta Directory of Internet Health Sources.
- Health A to Z -- Search Engine for Health and Medicine.
- Healthopedia -- A medical and health consumer information resource containing comprehensive and unbiased information in patient-friendly language from trusted sources.
- JAMA -- The Journal of the American Medical Association.
- Making the Connection -- Cholesterol and your heart.
- Medicine Net -- Medical information for diseases, treatments, procedures, drugs, etc..
- Men at Midlife -- Very informative and serious web site concerning all aspects of the Male Menopause.
- Sexuality and U -- Your link to sexual well-being.
- Slack Incorporated -- An innovative, information, education and management company in Healthcare Specialty Areas.
- Stroke-TIA.org -- An educational resource on stroke and Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA).
- Web MD -- It does not make your doctor obsolete, but it provides lots of valuable information.
- National Association of S Gaugers -- A non-profit USA corporation of S Gaugers promoting 1:64 scale model railroading.
- Alberta Model Trains -- Events, layouts and clubs in Alberta.
- Peter's Model Railroading -- See how an S-scale lay-out is being built from scratch, and have a look at previous versions of N-scale lay-outs.
- Modelrailway Hamburg, Germany -- For sure the largest and most beautiful model railway in the world.
- Tall Pine Railroad -- With your monitor at 1024 x 768 resolution and a good sound card you are bound to enjoy this high standard model railroad site.
- Trainboard.com -- Come board the train with TrainBoard.com for discussion forums and message boards for everything railroading. Featuring forums for specific railroads, all scales of model railroading, and anything related to trains and railroads.
Phone, Yellowpages, e-Mail, snail-Mail
- Canada 411 -- When you are looking for a person or business in Canada.
- Canada Post -- Information about personal and business mail services in Canada.
- Canada Toll Free -- When you are looking for that toll free number in Canada.
- Canada Yellowpages -- When you are looking for a business or service in Canada, and the U.S.A.
- Infobel -- That is "bel" with one "l"! The whole world at your finger tips.
- InfoSpace -- Lots of stuff, but also White Pages, Yellow Pages, e-mail, etc. for various countries.
- Super Pages -- When you are looking for a person or business in Canada, and other countries.
- White Pages -- When you are looking for a person or business in Canada, but also other countries.
- World Telephone Directories -- Gives you access to white and yellow pages of most countries in the world, plus interesting other info of those countries such as postal codes. Pitty that the main web page is only in Dutch.
Religious, Spiritual, Harmony
- Sistine Chapel -- Visit the Sistine Chapel in 3-D.
- Anabaptist (Wikipedia) -- Describes the Anabaptists of 16th-century Europe and their direct descendants, particularly the Amish, Hutterites, and Mennonites.
- Bahá'í World -- Official site of the Bahá'í Faith.
- Feng Shui Palace -- Feng shui is a way to mindfully organize your environment so that it fully supports you in life. This site educate those who wish to take part in arranging, de-cluttering, balancing and organizing their living and working spaces to bring harmony into their lives.
- GaitherNet -- The Nashvill Network television airs every two weeks a 1-hour gospel program. I like their music and this is Bill and Gloria Gaither's website.
- Jewish Virtual Library -- Myths & Facts Online.
- Jihad Watch -- Islam 101 is meant to help people become better educated about the fundamentals of Islam and to help the more knowledgeable better convey the facts to others.
- One Country -- The online newsletter of the Bahá'í International Community.
- Tenboche Monastery -- The official page for the Tengboche Monastery Development Project about Buddhism, ecology and sustainable tourism in the Sherpa region of Mount Everest, Nepal.
- Aurora Watch -- This website provides a real-time monitor of geomagnetic activity in the Edmonton region (Alberta, Canada), and similar magnetic latitudes, and offers a free email alert service to let you know if there may be aurora visible tonight.
- Astronomy Picture of the Day -- Check for example their Earth Lights image to see who is wasting the precious resources of this world.
- Kennedy Space Center -- Enormous amount of information about history and shuttle launches.
- Shell's Ferrari Formula One -- The place to go if you like the fast track.
- Stellarium Astronomy Software -- Stellarium is a free software available for Windows, Linux/Unix and MacOSX. It renders 3D photo-realistic skies in real time using OpenGL. With stellarium, you really see what you can see with your eyes, binoculars or a small telescope.
- Trucknet -- The site is in Dutch, but if you like truck pictures and trip stories then this web site is a must. This site belongs to my grand-nephew.
Techie & other Crazy Stuff
- Numista -- Looking for information about a coin or to identify an unknown coin? Find it among 100,000+ world coins in the collaborative coin catalog, built and constantly enriched by the Numista community.
- List of battery sizes -- Confused about replacement batteries, compatibility, etc.? Then this site is for you.
- Nexus Magazine -- Obviously they want you to become a subscriber to their magazine, but under Products they offer lots of free downloadable articles like "The Forged Origins of The New Testament".
- Calgary Metal Detecting Club -- These are the folks to contact when you have lost your ring.
- Online Unit Converter -- Try all unit converter offerings; you will be surprised!
- Global Incident Map -- Global incident map displaying terrorist acts, suspicious activity, and general terrorism news.
- Digital Dutch Unit Converter -- Very handy converter.
- Airbus A380 cockpit -- Have a 360° view in the cockpit of an Airbus A380.
- Electric cars for sale -- Electric Porsche, or EVPorsche. Go Green!!!
- Instructables: step-by-step collaboration -- Looking for a crazy idea that works? Then you have found the web site where to look first.
Travel, Restaurants, Maps
- Nakoda Lodge & Conference Centre -- Try their Sunday Brunch too.
- Diamond Willow Artisan Retreat -- They supply the meals, studio space (open 24 hours) and wonderfully comfortable accommodations surrounded by 11 acres of nature. Serenity, seclusion and solitude at Diamond Willow Artisan Retreat close to Turner Valley just South of Calgary, Alberta. Check out their schedule and enjoy a weekend.
- AllHostel.com -- World wide (youth) hostels and backpackers information.
- Hostelling International - Canada -- Hostelling, especially in Canada. (My wife and I did a three week bicycle trip through the middle and south of Holland in 1988, while mainly staying in hostels. Although we were well in our 40th then, we enjoyed every minute of it.)
- Hostels -- Fined a hostel in 100 nations, over 600 cities, worldwide. You don't have to be young or a backpacker. Simple, very affordable, and meet lots and lots of interesting people.
- Ice Hotel Canada -- Tour or spend a night in the Canada's Ice Hotel close to Quebec City. Their fifth season is from January until April 2005. Don't miss it.
- Sedona Vacation Homes -- Tell them that you found them on my web-site!!!.
- Rocky View County, Parks & Pathways -- Among others, Glenbow Provincial Park along the Bow River, Big Hill Springs Provincial Park North of Cochrane, and Bragg Creek Provincial Park.
- Travel Scenic Utah in 3D Panoramas --
- AirPano -- Have a look at 360 degree aerial panorama, 3D virtual tours around the world, and photos of the most interesting places on the earth BEFORE you travel there!
- Custom Woolen Mills -- A working museum located near Carstairs, Alberta. They have been producing woolen and exotic fiber products on their unique industrial revolution machinery for over 25 years. Their products include: carded wools, rovings, spinning rolls, batts, wool yarns, knitting kits, socks, comforters, mattress pads and hand-woven blankets. Visit them and take a tour, browse through their showroom and find out more about wool, and how they process it.
- Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump -- Just north-west of Fort Macleod, Alberta, Canada, is one of the world's oldest, largest and best preserved buffalo jump. An absolute must when you are in the area.
- National Anthems -- National anthem music and words, and the flags of all 192 countries.
- PaSu Farm -- PaSu farm is a truly unique combination of Restaurant, Fine Dining, a Boutique with Quality Handcrafts, and of course a working Farm.
- Town of Cochrane Mural Mosiac -- Cochrane is Northwest of Calgary and East of Banff, in the foothills of the Rockies. This mural can be seen in the Cochrane Ranch House. Each tile is 1 foot square, and is an individual picture created by a different artist. All of them together form this huge mural. You can click on each of the tiles to see them in detail.
- Wonders of the World TV -- There are more than the seven you know.
Travel, Railway, Airports, Maps
- Upgraded Points -- Inside Strategies to Maximize Rewards.
- Embassy Worldwide -- Absolutely all of the world's embassies in a searchable database.
- Live Flight Tracker -- Shows live air traffic and it works for the whole world. Mind you that some aircrafts cannot be tracked!
- Rocky Mountaineer -- The only way to experience the Canadian Rockies and Whistler.
- Amsterdam, Schiphol Airport -- Your gateway into Europe.
- Calgary International Airport -- I use it mainly for realtime arrival and departure information.
- Canada - WorldWeb Travel Guide -- THE site to the novice and seasoned traveler in this great country.
- Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (Canada) -- Travel Assistence, especially look at their Country Travel Reports.
- Expedia.ca -- Flights, charters, hotels, cars, vacation packages, maps, destination information, everything in travel.
- FoundLocally -- Provides local information, tips, photos, maps, and now, events and jobs for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Ontario.
- General Motors of Canada -- In Canada and looking for Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, Chevy Truck, GMC, Saturn, Saab, Isuzu or Hummer? Start here.
- Getting Through Customs -- Kiss, Bow or Shake Hands: How to do business in 60 countries. Fascinating web site.
- Greater Toronto Airport Authority -- The best place to find that important travel information.
- Hello BC -- Planning a trip to British Columbia? Then this site is an absolute must.
- Lonely Planet -- Travel Advisory, especially look at their Travel Ticker.
- MapQuest -- Driving Directions, Maps & Live Traffic Reports.
- National Tax Refund Service -- Visiting Canada as a non-resident (read tourist or visitor)?. You can get some of the tax back!!!
- SeatGuru -- The ultimate source for airplane seating, in-flight amenities, and airline information. Be informed before you book your seats.
- Tourism Calgary -- Calgary and the Canadian Rockies Travel Guide.
- Travel Alberta -- Four new way to travel Alberta.
Vineyards and Wine
- Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission -- They establish the rules and enforce those. What is handy is their "Find a favourite Liquor Product" and "Find the closest Liquor Store".
- Food and Wine Pairing -- Match food to wine, match wine to food, pairing guidelines and wine tasting.
- Soulvines -- Laurie MacKay is an accredited Sommelier, or wine steward. She gives courses, does wine tours and co-host on CBC's Homestretch.
A Sommelier is a trained and knowledgeable wine professional, normally working in fine restaurants, who specializes in all aspects of wine service as well as wine and food matching.
- Wine Press Northwest -- Their passion is Pacific Northwest Wines from Washington, Oregon, British Columbia and Idaho.
- Our 2002 British Columbia wine tour: Cedar Creek, Gehringer Brothers, Hawthorne Mountain, Hester Creek, Thornhaven, Tinhorn Creek, and Wild Goose.
- Our 2005 British Columbia wine tour: Desert Hills, Domaine Combret, Hillside, Benchland, Mistral, Spiller, and Wild Goose.
- Our 2010 British Columbia wine tour: Wild Goose, Noble Ridge, Blue Mountain, Silver Sage, La Frenz, Ruby Tuesday, and Lake Breeze.
- timeanddate.com -- Calculators & converters for time, dates, sunrise, sunset, distance and more.
- LocalTimes.Info -- Local times for cities round the world; city clock widgets; world timezones.
- Poodwaddle 2011 World Clock -- Clocks with a twist; you may get more than you bargain for.
- North American Sundial Society -- You have a sundial in your backyard? Then this site might something for you.
- Old Farmer's Almanac -- USA edition including the Canadian weather.
- Weather Office -- The place where the Canadian weather is made.
- World Time Server -- World Time Server provides the most accurate current local times of any world clock on the Internet. Keep your own PC time accurate with their FREE Atomic Clock Sync.
- HTML 5 Test -- Test to see how ready your browser is to support HTML 5.
- Firefox -- Discover the Web -- Firefox is the new, more secure, small, easy to use, and yet fast web browser from the Mozilla team. The better choice for Internet browsing. What I like most is the tabbed browsing.
Web Graphics, Flash, SVG
- Adobe SVG Zone -- Discover the future of Web graphics: Scalable Vector Graphics. Download Adobe's SVG viewer plug-in and check out their instructions pages.
- GIF Construction Set Professional -- Construct your own animated GIF files. Look at my example at the bottom of this page.
- KevLinDev -- Good tutorial on SVG.
- Boutell.com -- OpenFAQ to the Rescue.
- CodeGuru -- C++ and much more.
- Code Project -- Your place for free C++, C# and .NET articles, code snippets, discussions, news and the best bunch of developers on the net.
- MySQL database -- My database of choice, and the only one provide by my ISP. Sure it misses several functions of the great databases, but it is sufficient for the average web application.
- Perl -- Everything about Perl programming including CPAN.
- PHP, Hypertext Preprocessor -- PHP is a server-side, cross-platform, HTML embedded scripting language. I find it easier to use than for example Perl.
Web Search Engines
- DuckDuckGo -- Does not track you and get you out of the filter bubble.
- Google -- Returns Web pages, but what is so unique is that they are ranked in order of importance or popularity. My personal favourite, and currently the best search engine.
- Ask Jeeves -- Another famous search engine.
- Excite -- Concentrates on Web sites and discussion groups. Gives site summaries and you dig deeper at the site yourself.
- HotBot -- Returns lots of information, but the power searching tools require some time to learn. Comprehensive and fast.
- MetaCrawler -- Provides the capability to use several popular search engines at the same time while only entering the search string once.
- Web Crawler -- Bit spartanic in what it returns, but almost as broad a base as Lycos.
- Yahoo! -- Everyones favourite. Returns short summaries and certainly a good first starting point.
- Symantec (Norton) -- AntiVirus, Anti-Spyware, Endpoint Security, Backup, Storage Solutions. Their Norton Internet Security is still my favourite.
- Malwarebytes -- Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal. Download their free Anti-Malware.
Web Standards, Training, Literature
- Annotated XML Specification -- Based on the specification of 10-Feb-1998, but still useful to understand the concepts.
- Annoyances.org -- The most complete collection of information assembled for and by actual users of Microsoft Windows.
- Bare Bones Guide to HTML -- Nice quick reference guide to HTML with useful references to other sites.
- Bob Cerelli's Windows Pages -- The main goal of this site is to provide clear, accurate and easy to understand information regarding Windows95/98/2000.
- Easter Egg Archive -- Amusing tidbit that creators hid in their creations. They could be in computer software, movies, music, art, books, or even your watch. There are thousands of them, and they can be quite entertaining, if you know where to look.
- HotWired Webmonkey -- Another neat site for WebSite developers. Excellent tutorials if you are new to the business and need a kick-start.
- internet.com -- The E-Business and Internet Technology Network.
- LivingInternet.com -- Comprehensive source of information about the Internet; a must visit.
- Max Design -- Great place for creative lists and floating of anything on a web page using the power of CSS.
- PC Magazine -- The independent guide to technology. Where I look first before I buy.
- Tucows Downloads -- 1000's of the world's best Internet applications & games.
- W3C - World Wide Web Consortium -- THE site if it comes to standards and future direction on HTML, CSS, DOM, XML, SVG, etc., for example XHTML 1.0 for The Extensible HyperText Markup Language.
- Web Developer's Virtual Library -- Encyclopedia of Web Design Tutorials, Articles and Discussions.
- Web Standards Project (WaSP) -- The Web Standards Project is a grassroots coalition fighting for standards that ensure simple, affordable access to web technologies for all.
- World Wide Web FAQ -- Useful resource for novices and seasoned HTML developers.
- Yahoo! List of Web Development Resources -- Close to 1,000 links to Web resources. I did not checked them all...
- Ping Test -- Nice clean interface of testing Ping, Download and Upload speed.
- What is my IP -- Not only shows your IP address, but also Ping, Download and Upload speed, and much more. Beware not to give them to much info.
- The Global Broadband Speed Test -- Only do the speed test, as they try to lure you into downloading stuff!!!
- Shaw Speedtest -- No frills Internet speed test from Shaw Cable.
- Adobe Acrobat products -- Which Adobe® Acrobat® product is right for you?
- Adobe SVG download -- Get ready to download Adobe® SVG Viewer 3 and experience the next generation of data-driven, interactive, and personalized graphics on the web.
- Fourth Ray Software -- A small business based in Houston that just published their FRSLinkCheck program, a tool to check the validity of external links on your web pages. I have been using it since their previous version.
- Gibson Research Corporation -- Interesting tools.
- Macromedia Flash Player download -- With Macromedia Flash Player, you can view the best animation and entertainment on the Web.
- Internet Slang Worsk -- On this site you will find a list of slang terms, acronyms and abbreviations as used in websites, ICQ chat rooms, blogs, SMS, and Internet forums - a complete dictionary of slang.
- CutePDF -- Create professional quality PDF files from almost any printable document. FREE for personal, commercial, gov or edu use! No watermarks! No popup Web ads! Now supports 64-bit Windows.
- Download The Webshots Desktop -- Add colour to your day and desktop. Claims to be the most popular desktop wallpaper and screen saver on the Net!
- FastPDF -- Fast PDF is a web service that converts Microsoft Word documents into PDF files. Using the free Adobe Acrobat Reader others can access your document regardless of their exact hardware or software.
- Favicon.com -- Create favicon.ico files to customize the marketing logo in Internet Explorer's favorites/bookmarks using their free online java icon editor.
- IT Buyer's Network -- To locate IT products (hardware, software, services), some of them even with a review and rating.
- TUCOWS -- The first place I look when I need a software solution. Mostly shareware at a modest price, but sometimes you will find a freeware gem.
- Selfbuilt's Whisky Analysis -- A scientific meta-analysis of whisky flavours and quality.
- Malt Madness -- When you are interested in single malt whisky then this web site is for you. From beginner's guide to distillery data, and rating lists. It has also links to Malt Maniacs and WhiskyFun.com.
- Scotch Blog -- An online news and commentary site focused solely on the subject of whisky and primarily on the Scotch whisky industry.